The following is a guest post by Ashley, Thanks Ashley!!
It’s getting colder here in Saskatchewan, and in all reality, colder than I am used to it being in the middle of October. Once the weather turns colder I start making soups in my slow cooker. I don’t know if there is anything better than hot soup on a cold day. This chicken tortilla soup is delicious, a lot of flavors, thick and filling. Couldn’t ask for more.
What’s in it:
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bit size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Peppers – your choice of color and amount
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tsp of cumin, garlic powder and chili powder each – plus some extra if you choose to fry your chicken
- beans (optional)
- a couple hand fulls of corn chips/tortilla chips
I usually pan fry my chicken ahead of time with some spices – you don’t have to. I’ll add some cumin, garlic powder and chili powder to the chicken as its cooking along with some salt and pepper. Once the chicken is just about done I add in the onion and peppers for a few minutes before putting it all in the slow cooker.
There is no order to how you put it in the slow cooker, I usually add the chips last though, usually this is when I remember them.
Give it all a good stir! Simple as can be. Cook on low for 3-4 hours if you cooked you chicken first, 6-8 if not. High for 4 hours. Your chips are of course going to melt almost and really thicken up your soup. Enjoy! Depending on how many chips you added to your meal, have a snack while you wait for supper. They are also yummy dipped in the soup.
I’m Ashley the Forgetful Momma behind Bottles, Diapers… Babies, stay at home mom with two girls. I share recipes and all the fun things that I do with my kids, especially the messy stuff.
Latest posts by Kisa Johnson (see all)
- Precious Moments Take Your Time It’s Your Birthday (age 11) Review - May 24, 2016
- BoCandy – May 2016 Unboxing and Thoughts - May 22, 2016
- Happy Birthday to Lisi! - May 20, 2016