Sometimes it’s just hard to get over hearing certain things come out of people’s mouths. Here are some things that frustrate me when I hear them. I don’t mean little kids messing up a word here and there, that’s one thing. These are entirely different, at least to me.
- Um – At my last job in a call center we had an assistant trainer, she was just learning how to hold a training class. So at first her over-use of ‘um’ wasn’t too bad. After the first three weeks though? I had a hard time paying attention any time she attempted to teach us anything, in one particular 20 minute talk she said “Um” 87 times!
- If you really loved me you would…/ Hey, do you love me?/ How much do you love me?- Holy crap! Never say this to me, ever, unless you re joking and it’s obvious. If you seriously use this phrase in order to ‘ask’ me to do something for you, you’re just going to end up making me wonder why I want to be around you.
- Irregardless – This isn’t a real proper word, you want to say regardless. The end. This is just one that’s a pet peeve, even if a certain comedian made a funny rant about it one time in regards to his father who had English as a second language.
- I hate to be rude but – But what? You must think what you’re about to say is rude if you start with that statement? If you’re trying to phrase things lightly you can do so without that statement before your actual point.Or if you simply can’t say anything that isn’t rude/unkind then follow the rule ‘if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.’ Plain and simple.
- How goes it? – This being the first thing out of your mouth when you first see me after however long drives me a bit nutty. How goes what exactly? It’s too vague and open ended to even get a proper answer out of me. It’s one thing if I’m in the middle of something we’d talked about previously, and you see me doing said something to ask this. But to not have seen me at all in however long and just ask me? I pretty much can’t answer you, I don’t know the IT you speak of. Sorry.
- Like – It’s not the 90’s and you’re not a valley girl. Saying it here and there is okay, but every few words? I know someone who talks like this and I have had to learn to tune out most of what they’re saying unless they’re directing it at me. Otherwise I need ear bleach. “It’s just like, so like, I don’t even know!! Like, Oh. My. God! Can you like believe that he like, totally did that?”
- Oh how cute! Is it a boy? – In regards to Risi. Seriously? She’s in a pink outfit with hearts and boys, in her pink car seat, and I’m carrying her pink, black and white diaper bag. How does this equate little boy?! To anyone??
- On the rag – As an expression for being on ones period. I’m not sure what it is about this saying, but I find it really gross and dirty sounding.
Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to things people say? Sometimes I feel as though I’m a little too picky, though I don’t generally make a habit of going off on people when they do the above things. I tend to just keep my frustration about it to myself until I can talk to someone about how frustrating these things are to hear.
Latest posts by Kisa Johnson (see all)
- Join the #DreftSpring Twitter Party and Enter to win a Prize Pack! @Dreft - May 6, 2016
- Evanger’s Pet Food – Signature Series for Cats - April 28, 2016
- #ShareTheLuv And Save on Luvs Diapers – At Home Coupon + $5 Ibotta Savings - April 21, 2016