About 6 years ago, I was searching for the perfect Rice Stroganoff Recipe.
But I kept coming up short…
You know, there used to be “Rice-a-roni” stroganoff when I was little, and I LOVED it. Sadly it disappeared a LONG time ago. It took forever, but I was thankfully able to almost completely recreate it to be as close to that flavor, without it coming from a box. Sure, it takes longer than the boxed version. But I love it!
Copycat Rice Stroganoff Recipe:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- 1.5 lb beef. Thin-cut steaks are preferred, but ground beef is acceptable.
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 large can (‘Family Size,’ 26 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz chopped mushrooms
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Mix 1/2 cup beef broth or stock, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 salt, and 1 tsp pepper in medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Cut steaks into thin strips. Let marinate in beef broth mixture for at least 30 minutes, 1 hour is preferred.
- If using ground beef, crumble beef into broth mixture and let soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil in frying pan or wok over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add garlic and onion powder to taste; stir in mushrooms, frying for up to 10 minutes, until cooked to desired texture.
- Set mushrooms aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter and olive oil in frying pan or wok, again over medium-high heat; fry steaks until the outsides are lightly but evenly browned. The center will still be somewhat pink, but that is intentional.
- Fry steaks and mushrooms (from step 3) together for about 5 minutes, stirring to make sure the flavor is evenly spread around.
- In large saucepan or crock pot, mix together cream of mushroom soup and 1c beef broth until well blended.
- Add steak and mushrooms to saucepan and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Serve over rice (or noodles.)
In our house, we feed 7 people, so we expand this recipe, often double or triple… and everyone loves it so we tend to make enough leftovers for a day or two of easy lunches too.
I hope you enjoyed our Rice Stroganoff recipe as much as we do!