I never actually managed to pack a hospital bag until I was pregnant with Risi. I didn’t have the money for things, and really only tossed a few baby things in a bag and thought I was good all the other times!
With Lisi, I didn’t even get that far.
This time though, I was super prepared and had a hospital bag packed and in the van a little over a month before the baby was born.
Here is a list of things I recommend to have in your hospital bag to make things more comfortable during your stay:
- Travel sized containers of your own favorite shampoo, conditioner and lotion.
- Chapstick, a new stick of your favorite type. Hospital air is extremely drying.
- A bag of change and $1’s for the vending machine, for the middle of the night hungries.
- A comfortable Pajama dress/shirt, and your own robe so you’re not stuck wearing hospital gowns.
- At least two pairs of socks, no slip are great if you can stand the way they feel.
- A couple of outfits for the baby
- Swaddling blankets for the baby
- Your own ‘hospital’ style hats (like the one Risi is wearing above) are awesome too.
- A spare charger for your phone.
- A towel from home.
- A book/ereader/tablet
- Hairbands and a spare hairbrush that you don’t need at home before the baby is born.
- Digital camera with batteries, don’t forget your memory card!
- Clothes for you to change into for when you leave the hospital.
- Spare clothes, toiletries and a towel for dad.
- Any pacifiers or soothies you intend to give the baby.
- A copy of your birth plan.
- Any snacks that the vending machine may not carry.
- At least one pair of large underwear.
- A change of clothes for two for dad, as well as a towel for a shower. (Forgot to add, thanks to the commenters for reminding me!)
Really I can’t think of anything else that may have been useful other than my Itzbeen, but if you don’t have one of those a pen and some paper to write down feeding and diaper change times works well too. 🙂